Vital Documents for Staff

Visas, Work Permits and ID Cards


       International Affairs staff is appointed at every PSU faculty to help you with course information, fees, application forms, visa issues, work permits and ID card procedures, orientation, and health and accident insurance. They are available at all times to offer you assistance and support.


Visas for Employees

       Detailed information is available on the website of Thai Department of Consular Affairs Foreigners working in Thailand will need to keep their visas current. You should obtain your initial working visa (non-immigrant “B”) from the Thai Embassy in your home country. In order for you to apply for this visa, PSU will need to submit a letter to the embassy explaining why you need to stay in Thailand. Please contact the related faculty / institute (link at PSU to make the necessary procedures. If you arrive in Thailand on a 30-day tourist visa, and you need to stay longer, you will have to get a 90-day non-immigrant “B” visa from the Bangkok Immigration Office, or from outside Thailand. Thereafter, the visa can be extended annually at Hat Yai Immigration Office. Please note that there is an overstay fine of 500 Baht per day. 

Check our comprehensive guide to Visa Procedures for PSU Staff

Work Permits


          One can apply for a work permit at the Labor Department in Songkhla town. 

          .. and it takes three working days from the date of submission at the office in Songkhla .. 

Check our comprehensive guide to Work Permits for PSU Staff


 ID Cards

       Employees should obtain ID cards from their respective faculties (or for those working in the President’s Office, from the Personnel Division). The ID card is needed to use the library and some other recreational facilities.


Thai Driving License for Foreigners

       PSU International staff and students in Hat Yai can obtain a Thai Driving License from Songkhla Department of Land Transport, which is on the road to Yo Island (Ko Yo), aprox. 20 km from Hat Yai. There are two cases as follows:


1. The first case is for foreigners who already got their own country driving license. If it is in English, they can submit a copy of it with the following documents to the Songkhla Department of Land Transport:
    - a copy of passport and visa
    - a copy of work permit (for employees)
    - a certified residency letter from the Immigration Office
    - a medical certificate
However, if their own country driving license is not in English, they must get a certified translation of it and submit it with other aforementioned documents.

2. The second case is for those who do not have their own country driving license. In this case, they must submit the aforementioned documents and take the written examination (in English or Chinese) and the driving test that is the same for all applicants.
For further information, please contact the Songkhla Department of Land Transport in person or by phone at 074-330248.


Necessary Documents for Immigration Affairs


Check our up-to-date list of documents for all PSU Immigration Affairs here



Hat Yai Immigration officers will come to PSU Hat Yai Campus to assist foreigners with necessary
immigration affairs on the last Wednesday of each month at the President’s Office Building.